Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Brow Threading




Because I have very sensitive skin, I never tried getting my eyebrows waxed.  In fact I have never had any waxing done anywhere on my body.  When I first started working on my look I realized that my eyebrows were a problem and I needed to do something with them.  I have been plucking them extensively for several years and while it was very time consuming, it worked pretty good for me except that I never really got the shape I wanted from plucking and sometimes, especially when I would trim them with scissors, I would go too far and leave my brows too thin or not full enough.  I have even left gaps in them before.

This year I decided to try one of the brow threading businesses that have opened in many of the shopping malls.  I was really impressed with the results, and while there is some minimal discomfort, the whole procedure takes about 5 minutes and is over before you know it.  For $10-$12 you get professionally shaped brows and a nice clean look that will last at least a couple of weeks.

Before:  Driving to Raleigh yesterday to see my therapist and meet Donna at the mall.  This was taken before yesterday's threading.




My friend Donna met me at Crabtree Mall yesterday after my therapist appointment in Raleigh.  We walked around the mall and had a great dinner at The Cheesteak Factory.   Although we didn't buy anything at any of the stores, after dinner we decided to try the threading salon there at the mall.  I hadn't gotten mine threaded in 3 or 4 weeks but I had been doing some brow maintenance myself by plucking so I don't know if you can tell any difference in the before and after pictures I have posted here, but the the threading does get a lot of other hairs that are "invisible so it is still worth it.  I think Donna got a tremendous benefit from the threading because she hadn't had it done for quite a while.

Donna and I at Crabtree Mall
The pictures below show Donna and I getting our eyebrows threaded.  The salon we went to also does threading on other facial areas and installs glue on lashes that last a week, but I have never tried any of those services.  In the first picture you can see me holding my eyelid down and holding my eyebrow up with the other hand.  This is something they ask you to at any of the threading salons I have been to and it's supposed to make it less painful and also gives the technician better to access to the area under the brow.

Brow threading seems to be gaining in popularity and is a viable alternative to waxing.  A lot of my friends do not know much about it, so I thought I would share this information here and in my Facebook group, the Trans Beauty Network.  In addition, here is a link to an article with a good comparison of threading versus waxing.... http://www.examiner.com/article/method-of-shaping-brows-eyebrow-threading-vs-waxing

 
Here is a link to a short You Tube video on brow threading.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIeHYNt-rl4.

I hope you will find this blog post helpful and if anyone has any question, please leave them in the comments section. 











After:  This was taken today, after getting my brows threaded yesterday.  You can't tell much difference in my brows because I had done a lot of plucking in the last few days.  I got the threading  done yesterday because I wanted to try the place at Crabtree and I know Donna wanted to also.


Benefits of Threading:

*Dermatologist approved
*Precision to shape beautiful brows
*Fast and inexpensive
*No chemicals, no mess
*Healthier to the skin, avoids skin damage
*Relatively painless
*Suitable for all skin types, even sensitive skin
*Simple, gentle and hygienic
*Leaves smooth and hair free facial skin
*The results last from 2-4 weeks

"From the brochure for Idolize Brows & Beauty"



Other Links:

http://www.eyebrowthreading.com/
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-eyebrow-threading.htm
http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/2012/07/the-dos-and-donts-of-eyebrow-t.html

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, hon, they look wonderful - on both of you!

    Believe it or not, my electrologist shaped mine. It is essential to go to someone who knows what they are doing, for obvious reasons, but she is a true artist.

    She dida wonderful job taming the caterpillars that used to be over my eyes. lol I still get the occasional touch-up, but they look *so* much better than before!

    == Cass

    ReplyDelete